Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Making Art With Shitty Candy

Exploring the lives and works of weirdos.

Tiny disclaimer: The following information is not true. Names are fake, titles are made up, and I truly respect the jelly bean art below.






Minnie, I Envy Your Life
by Lucinda B. Mitchell

Artist's Statement
Sometimes when I'm alone, and my cats won't even look at me because I've outgrown my sweat suit, I say "You know what? You guys can go to hell. I'm going to channel my feelings into something beautiful." So once when that happened, I decided to make an homage to Minnie Mouse. Well, 26 hours (and lots of Jenny Craig meals later), here she is in a portrait made of little jelly beans. She's remarkable.






Visions of Flying Hawk/A White Man Made This
by Dennis K. Philips

Artist's Statement
Yesterday I was thinking about my Heritage, all the raping of them indians and stuff that my ancestors did and I says to myself Dennis, it's time you gave back and apologize for the behaviors or your people because they indians was probably nice people even though they didn't wear no pants and then I thought there's no better way to say I'm sorry Brown Man than with all them pretty jelly beans so I done made me a candy indian and I think I did it darn good because White people do things real good.




My Mona
by Richard Cloth

Artist's Statement
I will start by saying I have not had intercourse in 24 years. I do, however, have an iguana named Carl who always makes me laugh. Thank God for him. Here is a reproduction of the 16th century oil painting of Mona Lisa (also known as La Gioconda or La Joconde) by Leonardo da Vinci. She was originally painted on a poplar panel but I do things a little differently. What you see here is an assortment of jelly beans affixed to an economy-size box of hemorrhoid cream. She really shines in this medium. As for my next project, I anticipate much fun will be had. I am making a life-size adaptation of Michaelangelo's David from the waist down, made of corn.


THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment