Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Art, Micro-style

While I have tremendous respect for artists like Claes Oldenberg and Ron Muek who make art on a massive scale, I'd like to praise the tiny masterpieces of Willard Wigan. His sculptures are so mini they can fit into the head of a sewing needle, or sit atop a small diamond. And his subjects range from Michaelangelo's David, to the Obamas, to that colorful cast of weirdos in The Wizard of Oz. 

How does he do it? Aside from his unwavering patience and steady hands, Wigan uses a freakin' microscope. I kid you not. During an interview on NPR, Wigan recalled a time when he accidentally inhaled a part of his sculpture; it was really that small.

Yeah, so micro-sculpting isn't easy. In fact, I can't even fathom the challenge. But Willard Wigan does it, and he does it really well. Willard, if I could shake your hand, I would probably try to hug you instead. Take that, Ronnie and Claes! 

Peep Wigan's art.


Yellow Brick Road



Marilyn Monroe 





Chariot at Dusk



David




Elvis

No comments:

Post a Comment